We get it. Every “older generation” (e.g. us) is critical of young people. Remember the song from the 60s musical, Bye-bye Birdie.
What’s the matter with kids today
why can’t they be like we were
perfect in every way
oh, WHAT’S the matter with kids to – dayyyyyyy
But despite the misgivings of seniors, people pretty much turn out all right (if you forget the Hippies). At least they have in the past.
However, enter the Millennials, colloquially defined as those reaching young adulthood in this, the early twenty-first century. Inexplicably, they are a generation raised apart from the normal experience of human history, as if in some bizarre, misguided science experiment.
Remember how we signed up for after-school programs? Little league, Brownies or Cub Scouts? In contrast, the Millennials are craftily enrolled by calculating parents in carefully selected activities designed to give their children just the right experience to make them superior to all others. While we grabbed a glove and went down to the sandlot to play some ball with our buds, now, hovering soccer moms and “involved” fathers sign the kids up, drive them, participate in every aspect, argue with coaches and umpires, take everyone out for pizza afterwards, and console the losers. And everyone is told again and again, “good job!” (barf) Helicopter mothers endlessly circle over their children’s lives. No wonder these children cannot function in modern society.
“So what?” you might say. “I haven’t any skin in the game. No harm, no foul, just let them be doofuses.” If so, you’d be missing a key point.
They will be our future leaders! No way around it. The normal people are going to die (we hope this doesn’t shock you) and they will be the only folks left. If you think the generations coming up behind will be more functional, think again. The Millennials, unlike their parents, seem bent on raising their kids exactly like they were! It’s part of the disease.
Think about it. Here are some characteristics of Millennials that would define their performance as our leaders:
- Can’t write or read cursive
- Types with their thumbs
- Writes in primitive abbreviations (e.g. you are = ur)
- Corollary: Can’t spell without SpellCheck, and even then screws it up
- Believes debt should be forgiven by the government if it was for a good cause or didn’t work out
- Just fine interrupting a conversation to answer the phone or respond to a text
- Posts every action and thought on the Internet
- Corollary: posts photos of an accident rather than helping
- Thinks the government has infinite money
- Sees no problem with socialism, and can’t understand why all countries don’t do it
- Can find no logical connection between market capitalism and our standard of living or success as a nation
- Believes a job is a right that exists for their personal enjoyment
- Keeps a small electronic device constantly attached to their hands and frozen in front of their face
- Are convinced we are dumb
For the majority who say we should euthanize these young people and start over, we at HardWired News believe that possibly is too harsh (although we’re keeping an open mind). We should compassionately take a note from Stalin’s playbook, and send them to “reeducation” camps, where they can be straightened out, even if it takes the rest of their lives (heh-heh-heh). There they would be responsible for their own decisions. Consequences for actions and inaction would fall upon them without interference. They would be allowed to formulate their own goals, achieve them or not, and live with the results. The inmates could reach their own decisions absent liberal dogma or political correctness.
Or are we just dreaming?
You do realize we’re kidding, right? Sort of…